The major goals and purpose of all GRECC's are to advance scientific knowledge regarding medical, psychological and social needs of older veterans; to develop improved and innovative models of clinical services for older veterans; to advance the quality of education in geriatrics and gerontology throughout the VA health care system.
Since it's inception, the LR GRECC has been a pioneer in developing and evaluating new clinical care models for elderly veterans, including:
- The first Geriatric Evaluation Unit (GEU)
- Coordinated plan of ongoing care after discharge
- Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM) programs adopted by the VA health system
- Geriatric A.C.E. (Acute Care of Elderly) Unit
- Geriatric Consult Service
- Teaching Nursing Home
- Adult Day Health Center
- Geriatric FIRM
- Independent Living program
- Respite care program
- Hospital Based Home Care program (now Home Based Primary Care)
- Local and VA national cooperative trials
- Geriatric Clinical Research Center
- Novel research findings in the areas of nutrition, Alzheimer's Disease and osteoporosis
- Nationally known annual educational series (i.e., Nutrition & Aging, Best Practices, Geriatric Medicine Update)
- Development of instruments and strategies to assess patient satisfaction
- Development of a surgery residency curriculum which is now included in residency orientation
- Developed Systems Based Practices to help meet the ACGME mandated competencies that all med/surg residents must complete
- Research program internationally recognized for establishing role of inflammation in pathogenesis of Alzheimer's disease
- Selected site for Special Fellowship Program in Advanced Geriatrics
- Arkansas Geriatric Education Center**
The Little Rock GRECC is located at the Central Arkansas Veterans Healthcare System, Little Rock, AR.
Towbin Healthcare Center - North Little Rock Division
John L. McClellan Memorial Veterans Hospital - Little Rock Division
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Dennis H. Sullivan, M.D.
Associate Director for Research:
Associate Director for Education/Evaluation:
Ronni Chernoff, Ph.D.
Associate Director for Clinical Programs:
Prasad Padala, M.D.